The Town Clerk’s Office acts as a License Issuing Agent for the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC).   We sell hunting and fishing licenses for residents and non-residents of New York State.  Before purchasing a hunting license applicants must provide proof of hunter education and proof of residency. 

Fishing licenses are valid for one year from the date of purchase/activation.  There is no education requirement to obtain a fishing license. 


  • Proof of hunter education includes EITHER a previous hunting license OR a hunter education certificate. 

  • Bow hunters must provide additional proof of bow-hunter education – either a previous bow license or a bow-hunter education certificate. 

  • Non-resident hunters should check the DEC website for acceptable forms of proof of hunter education.  


  • The most common types of residency proof include: NYS driver’s license, NYS vehicle registration, NYS non-driver’s ID, student ID, or a parent’s driver’s license for a minor.  Additional acceptable forms of proof are shown on the DEC web site.

  • Non-residents may purchase NYS hunting and fishing licenses at an additional charge.  They must still provide proof of hunter education before purchasing a hunting license.

For more detailed information about hunting and fishing privileges in New York State and a fee schedule, visit the NYSDEC website at:

NY DEC Permits, Licences ad

The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) was created on July 1, 1970 to combine all state programs designed to protect and enhance the environment into a single agency.

©2021 Town of Palmyra, NY. All rights reserved.
Please read our Terms of Use , Privacy Policy , and Accessibility Statement.
Contact the Webmaster with questions about this site.