top of page
Palmyra is a town in southwestern Wayne County, New York, with a population of 7,970 at the 2010 census. The town is named after the ancient Syrian trading city of Palmyra and is located about 20 miles southeast of Rochester, NY, the nearest metropolitan area.
Originally part of the Phelps and Gorham Purchase of 1788, the Town of Palmyra was established in 1789 and first called Swift's Landing after its founder General John Swift. It was also briefly known as the District of Tolland, before adopting its present name in 1796. By 1800, the town's population was about 1000.
The Village of Palmyra, incorporated in 1827, lies in the southwest corner of the Town.
Four churches stand on the corners of Routes 21 and 31 in Palmyra NY
bottom of page